Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resource forks HFS+

From: Daniel Hazelbaker
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resource forks HFS+
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:03:52 -0700

On 7/9/03 1:21 PM, "Ben Escoto" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hmm, interesting.  How big to resource forks get?  Does OS X still use
> them, or is there just legacy support?

OS X Itself doesn't use them, at least not often. It may in a few
circumstances but mostly it uses .rsrc data files instead of resource forks.
However, about 99% of non-apple applications still store data in resource
forks.  Generally they are pretty small, say under 5K.  But there is no real
limit, I have seen them upwards of 3-4MB.  Actually, OS X will automatically
put resource forks where they need to go. If it is using an operating system
that does not support resource forks, (example NFS or UFS) then it will
create "data resource forks" in the format "._filename".  But, that doesn't
help me any since all 45+ of our macs are already HFS+.

> EA/ACL support isn't in the stock 2.4.x, although some distributions
> like Suse have already added them.  Tools, man pages, and kernel
> patches are available at http://acl.bestbits.at/.

To the best of my research, OS X does not support those calls.  Unless a new
version of the BSD and darwin kernel decides to start supporting it I do not
see it in the future.  At the very least not for quite a while even if they
do start to include it.

Daniel