Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Mac resource fork question

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Mac resource fork question
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:12:29 -0800

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:18:46 -0600 John Goerzen <address@hidden> wrote:
> > No, just resource forks.  I didn't even know there were other
> > pieces of Mac metadata.
>
> I am not an expert on Macs here, but here is what I believe is the
> case.
>
> Yes, there are three pieces: creator, type, and resource fork.

It sounds easy enough to add this.  There would be four steps:

1.  Make rpath.py's setdata() add creator and type to rpath.data
    dictionary.
2.  Add creator and type to the attributes that metadata.py
    saves/restores.
3.  Change copy_attribs() in rpath.py to write creator and type.
4.  Add test cases for these in metadatatest.py and rpathtest.py.

...assuming of course that resource forks and these other types are
supported or not supported as a group.

But there's no point in me doing it since I don't have a Mac.
Probably what will happen is someone will ask about this later, and
maybe eventually someone with a Mac will actually add this.  So to
prepare for this day I put this discussion at:

http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/MacMetadata

and linked to it from SuggestedFeatures.

--
Ben Escoto