Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Mac resource fork question

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Mac resource fork question
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:42:22 -0800

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:11:10 -0600
John Goerzen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I observe from the CHANGELOG and mailing list questions that rdiff-backup
> 0.13.0 added support for resource forks on Macs.
>
> I have two questions regarding this:
>
> 1. Does it work if the machine being backed up is a Mac, but the files
>    are being stored on a Linux system?  Does it somehow compensate for
>    the fact that the Linux system does not support resource forks?
>    Is there a method to restore from such a backup reliably?

The resource fork information is dumped into the metadata file.  This
isn't a particularly efficient way of storing it, but the assumption
was that most files wouldn't have resource forks.

So, yes, you can back up a Mac to Linux.  Does it work reliably?
Dunno, I don't have a mac for testing, but Daniel Hazelbaker added
most of the resource fork code to 0.13.0, and it at least worked at
that point.

> 2. Does it also store the Mac creator and type information?  This
>    is not properly part of the resource fork, I believe.  Same restoration
>    question as above applies here.

No, just resource forks.  I didn't even know there were other pieces
of Mac metadata.

--
Ben Escoto