Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resource Forks and metadata file

From: Daniel Hazelbaker
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resource Forks and metadata file
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:22:34 -0800

> Hmm, are you sure it wasn't in the actual backup stage?  There is no
> separate "parse the metadata stage"; it parses it as it goes along.

Odd... Maybe it got totally stuck somewhere then. I'll dig around the
logging options and see if I can see what it is doing.  Granted I was not
just sitting here for 8+ hours staring at the hard disk light, but I never
saw it go on and every time I lsof'd I never saw a file on the source volume
opened. Python was consistently at 100% cpu so it was definitely working at
something...

> I think the first step is to figure out what is taking so long.  It
> could be something simple like the ascii->binary converter for the
> metadata file is obscenely slow.  Perhaps you could use the python
> profiler?  I would tell you how to do this but in fact I have totally
> forgotten how to use it.  Fortunately it's documented in the python
> library reference.

I'll hold off on my non-RF test (since I don't have the space to keep both
around) and see if I can figure out the debugging/profiling tools python
has.  As long as they are somewhat similar to the standard C ones, I should
be okay... *knock on wood*

> Ben Escoto

Daniel