Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Bug report: Symbolic link replacing directo

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Bug report: Symbolic link replacing directory
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:25:11 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> > Even so far as deleted _source_ trees because of symlink
> > handling.
>
> Are you sure? This would be worse than severe. As long as my source
> data is untouched I always can run diffs between source and backup and
> find rdiff errors, like that one, and can fix it. Not very nice, but
> kinda save.

See:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2004-10/msg00016.html

>From there, you can browse the mailing list archives of the previous month
(2004-09) where that thread starts. As far as I know, this has not been
addressed.

> > What I'd like to see, is an option to have special files exist _only_ in
> > metadata, not on disk. This would enable backing up to file systems
> > without notion of ownership and file types, like vfat.
>
> Would be nice, agreed. But shouldn`t it first work correctly on unix
> filesystems?

True, but IMHO it should not require root access to the backup filesystem
to work properly. I want to share space with others to do backups on each
other's machine, but giving root access to others is not an option.

--
Maarten Bezemer