RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows filenames not recognized

From: Evert Mouw
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows filenames not recognized
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:52:15 +0100

I beg your pardon for my previous post, I just found out it's a Samba issue.

Additional information: it gives the same error with some Unicode characters
in the filenames, like the TM symbol.

I'm using samba version 3.0.7, which should support Unicode and defaults to
UTF8, and I don't have weird settings in smb.conf

In Windows, it's name is (hopefully this survives in the mail): Blackboard
Learning System(tm) (Release 6).url

The Windows share is mounted at /mnt/forest/d

address@hidden:/mnt/forest/d/home/arjen/Favorieten# ls
Blackboard\ Learning\ SystemT\ (Release\ 6).url*

The error reads:

UpdateError arjen/Favorieten/Blackboard Learning SystemT (Release 6).url
[Errno 2] No such file or directory

Not sure whether this is a Samba or rsync-backup issue, but I canNOT copy the
file in bash:

address@hidden:/mnt/forest/d/home/arjen/Favorieten# cp Blackboard\ Learning\
SystemT\ \(Release\ 6\).url /
cp: cannot stat `Blackboard Learning SystemT (Release 6).url': No such file
or directory

So It looks like it's a Samba issue. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Regards, Evert