[rdiff-backup-users] Expansion of Double Asterisk

From: Holden Hao
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Expansion of Double Asterisk
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:28:09 +0800

Form the documentation a double asterisk "**" is supposed to expand to
its full path such that if you use an expression such as "**txt" means
all files ending in "txt" will be backed up.  However, I have observed
that if you use the double asterisk twice in an include directive only
the first is carried out correctly.

"rdiff-backup --include '**txt' --include '**xls'  --exclude path path
backuppath" only backs up txt files recursively.  When using :

"rdiff-backup --include-globbing-filelist list.txt path backuppath" where

list.txt is:
**xls
**doc
-path

produces the same effect.

What I am trying to do is to selectively backup only files that are of
a particular extension like .doc, .xls, .jpg.

I have tried using "--include-regexp" but I have not made it work
recusively.  Only the files on the parent directory gets backed up.  I
used something like:

"rdiff-backup --include-regexp 'txt$' --include-regexp 'doc$'
--exclude '**'  path backuppath"

Thanks for the replies.

Holden