[rdiff-backup-users] bug?: uid of symlinks restored incorrectly

From: Naoki Takebayashi
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] bug?: uid of symlinks restored incorrectly
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:19:37 -0800 (AKDT)

Hi,

I was testing out rdiff-backup and noticed an unexpected behavior:
uid/gid of the symlinks are set incorrectly after restore.

Here is how to reproduce.

## 1 ## As a user "joe" (uid=500), I did following:

mkdir /home/joe/test
cd /home/joe/test
ln -s /etc/fstab .

## 2 ## As root,

rdiff-backup /home/joe/test /tmp/bu-test
rdiff-backup -r now /tmp/bu-test /tmp/restore-test

## 3 ## check the result
ls -l /tmp/restore-test

total 0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Jul 29 22:06 fstab -> /etc/fstab

Note that the uid/gid is set to "root" instead of "joe".  uid/gid get
restored correctly for the regular files.  I think this is a bug in
handling symlinks in "restore".  mirror_metadata contain the correct
uid/gid (500) for the symlink, but "restore" seems to be ignoring it.

I'm using rdiff-backup-0.12.8-1.src.rpm, recompiled on the machine.

Background info:

Fedora Core 4 (i386)
librsync-0.9.7-4
python-2.4.1-2

Thanks,
Naoki

Naoki Takebayashi  <address@hidden>
Institute of Arctic Biology & Department of Biology and Wildlife
311 Irving I Bldg, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK 99775, USA
office:    (907) 474-1178, WRRB 226
fax:    (907) 474-6967