Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up multiple directories

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up multiple directories
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:15:53 +0100

Jochem van Leeuwen wrote:
Can I back up multiple directories using rdiff-backup (if so, how?) or do I need to write a shell script and loop trough a list of directories?

Yes you can, or you can write a script (or take one already written). Surprisingly, the man page for rdiff-backup discusses various techniques for doing this. The best approach depends on how much of the system you want to backup. You could elect to backup the entire filesystem and use the various "exclude" options to not backup, say, /proc and /tmp (and, in reality, probably others). Another approach is to have a list of directories to be backed up held in a file; there's a command option to read from that file. Personally, I run multiple rdiff-backup jobs from a script.

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |    http://www.TheLinuxConsultancy.co.uk     |