Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted RPath objects? Also a path prefixing patch
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:54:49 -0500

Ben Escoto wrote:

Well I was just suggesting using usernames..  Like instead of having
the server run

   rdiff-backup --restrict XXXX --force-path-prefix XXXX --server

you could have it run

   cd XXXX; sudo -u YYYYY rdiff-backup --restrict . --server

to avoid patching rdiff-backup and for an additional layer of
security.
Hmm -- that might actually be useful. So I take it the client can use relative paths (ie. "server::backup" instead of "server::/backup", or at worst "server::./backup" and it'll be evaluated relative to the cwd)?

Separate per-client user accounts is impractical for my purposes for reasons I've already discussed -- but using relative paths could indeed make my patch unnecessary. Thanks for the suggestion!