Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What the Hack?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What the Hack?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:12:00 -0500

> I am blogging with Word Press using Firefox as my browser on a
> Fedora Core 4 system while a Cron job is running an rdiff-backup. I
> hit a cursor key and KA-POW! All gone. Firefox is missing from the
> radar screen.
>
> Very curious. I go over to the Win 98 machine. Start Firefox. Go
> back to creating a WordPress post. No problemo!
>
> This happens all the time when a backup is occurring and is quite
> frustrating. I can use Wordpress / Firefox on the Linux system with
> no problem at other times.

I really don't think this is an rdiff-backup bug :)  Look at the
firefox logs or coredump I guess and see why it crashed.  My guess is
that you have an inadequate power supply or some other semi-faulty
equipment (memory, etc.).  Running rdiff-backup and a few other apps
simultaneously draws enough power to make the system unstable in a way
only a particular app notices.

> This may not be the fault of Ben Escoto, then again...

...most things are?  :-P

--
Ben Escoto