Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cygwin fsyncing again

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cygwin fsyncing again
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:44:17 -0500

> From my reading it seems that the python2.4/cygwin version I have
> got should support it - there was fsync bugs in older versions.  How
> do i do a test to see if it works - do you have a simple test script
> I can run? Disabling it is not optimal i agree, but a warning would
> be sufficient I think.

I remember an fsync bug in python that caused some problems for me,
but I thought the issue was that it was just missing from the os
module.  Maybe there is a different bug in cygwin's fsync.

Anyway, for a simple script, try this:

echo testing > fsync-testfile
python -c 'import os; os.fsync(os.open("fsync-testfile", os.O_RDONLY))'
rm fsync-testfile

if it works, python won't say anything.

--
Ben Escoto