Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Mac OS X 10.4 rdiff-backup woes

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Mac OS X 10.4 rdiff-backup woes
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:35:24 -0400

On 22 Oct 2005, at 13:44, Yannick Wurm wrote:

Hi list,

has anyone succesfully used rdiff on Mac OS X Tiger?
I installed rdiff-backup 0.13.6 via 'fink install rdiff-backup'. Despite installation going well, I always get errors, as shown below (running rdiff with sudo gives the same result).

I've been using the latest rdiff-backup, version 1.0.1, which is available in Fink's unstable tree. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, so I haven't yet decided if it is really working 100% properly. The checks I have made of the backed up data have not yet uncovered any problems. I still need to do a proper test of a recovery though.

I do need to use two special command-line switches though:

--no-carbonfile
--override-chars-to-quote ''

The --no-carbonfile switch is needed to avoid errors about carbonfile data in some of my files. This switch makes rdiff-backup not copy the carbonfile data. This isn't causing a problem with any of my files, as far as I can tell, but it might be an issue for some people.

The --override-chars-to-quote '' switch is needed to avoid rdiff- backup doing special encoding of upper case characters. It does this because it knows that the file system it is backing up to is case insensitive (the default HFS+ file system is case preserving, but case insensitive, so a file named "SomeFile" would overwrite a file named "somefile"). But, if both the source file system, and the backup file system are HFS+, there is no need to worry, so this switch stops the encoding of upper case characters. Note: the last characters in that switch are two single-quote characters.

If you don't want to enable fink's unstable tree, I could e-mail you my rdiff-backup-1.0.1 deb file so you could manually install it using dpkg.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada