Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature requests questions/discussion

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature requests questions/discussion
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:18:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Ben Escoto wrote:

> It's a good idea, and one that someone else has suggested before.  The
> checksums would be stored in the mirror-metadata file.  I don't even
> think it would be hard to implement.  And there could be a --verify
> switch to go through the repository and make sure everything checksums
> correctly.

that would be cool... i'd use that.

> > Summarized, --store-checksums would calculate checksum info for
> > integrity checks, and --checksum-diffs would use checksums for
> > change-detections, instead of mtime+size.
>
> Another good suggestion I think, which has come up before.  You
> mentioned ctime before, I was going to add in ctime checking but there
> was some complication (I forget what) and it never got in.
>
> Does anyone else think they would use Wiebe's --checksum-diff option?

in many cases for me this would cost too much on the machine being backed
up (lots of disk seeks and cpu time) ... but maybe i could use it
periodically on weekends...

hey, did you know there's actually nanosecond resolution to [acm]time on
linux 2.6?  (and on several BSDs i think)  i don't know if the interfaces
show up in python -- but the C structure elements are
st_atimensec/st_ctimensec/st_mtimensec, and the utimes(2) syscall can set
nanosecond resolution timestamps.

-dean