Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature requests questions/discussion

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Feature requests questions/discussion
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:57:43 -0500

> hey, did you know there's actually nanosecond resolution to
> [acm]time on linux 2.6?  (and on several BSDs i think) i don't know
> if the interfaces show up in python -- but the C structure elements
> are st_atimensec/st_ctimensec/st_mtimensec, and the utimes(2)
> syscall can set nanosecond resolution timestamps.

Hmm what is the significance of this?  rdiff-backup currently just
rounds times to the nearest second.  Even that is too fine on some
systems -- someone reported some file system where the file's time was
only reported to the nearest 2 seconds (if you kept statting it you'd
get inconsistent values rounded to the nearest second).  I think they
sent in a patch which added a --time-granulatity option.

Anyway it seems unlikely we are going to miss many new files because
they get changed less than 1 second after rdiff-backup processes them.

--
Ben Escoto