Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Discussion of poll winning feature: repository

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Discussion of poll winning feature: repository editing
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 03:00:49 -0600

Ben Escoto wrote:
For the people that voted for repository editing, what did you want
exactly?
As for me, I want the ability to merge old increments, such that beyond a given point I can abandon daily increments and store only weekly increments; and beyond that only monthly. As the dataset I work with has frequent enough changes that the same regions will be modified multiple times during the course of a week, such combination will indeed decrease (in some cases nontrivially) the amount of data being archived.

Also more generally, why do you want to edit an existing repository?
Is it to save disk space?
Yes. I'm storing backups from potentially a very large number of remote systems, and space is very much a potential issue.