Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Discussion of poll winning feature: repository

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Discussion of poll winning feature: repository editing
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:05:50 -0600

> I would really like to see rdiff-backup track files by strong
> checksum (e.g. SHA1).
>
> If a new file is created which has the same checksum as an existing
> file in the repository, rdiff-backup should treat that as a copy
> operation, which can be executed (and checked) very efficiently by
> the remote side.

Right now rdiff-backup's memory requirements are basically log(n)
where n is the number of files, but this would bump it up to n.  I'm
unsure whether it would consume too much memory in practical terms..
If it takes an extra 100 bytes per file, and there are 10M files,
that's ~1GB.

Anyway, this would only improve speed and/or disk space, and from the
survey I get the impression that few people care about that.

--
Ben Escoto