Re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] "Corrupted MAC on input" error

From: Walter Hop
Subject: Re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] "Corrupted MAC on input" error
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:35:12 +0100

>> for  the  past  week,  I  seem  to  be running into a consistent error
>> message  during a backup run on one of the machines: "Corrupted MAC on
>> input"

> Yes, I've seen exactly this error and there isn't a workaround as such.
> It indicates network data corruption, and in my case a customer had a
> cable modem that was corrupting fewer than 20 packets in a 1Gb file
> transfer. After changing network cards, cables, etc, I finally convinced
> the cable company to replace the modem, and the problem went away.

> Not sure if that helps or not -

Thanks! This could definitely be the case, so I tested some more
things.

I grabbed a 500MB file and scp'ed it repeatedly across the network
from the problem client to various hosts to see if I could recreate
the ssh error outside of rdiff-backup. The error happened here as
well, so it seems to be related to large streams of data, and the
problem is not due to some input that rdiff-backup throws at ssh.

[ What's interesting, is when I ftp that file around and back, and
diff the results, there is no difference. But scp'ing almost always
results in subnormal throughput and the "Corrupted MAC on input".
Really strange. We've already replaced the client hardware but get the
same error. I'm hoping it's just a faulty cable and not a broken port
on the switch or something... ]

Thanks for the input,

Walter Hop
Transip BV

--
  Transip BV | http://www.transip.nl/
  Hoogwaardige Innovatie | Aangename Zekerheid