Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:06:35 -0600

> Ok, I added the endless loop, and looking in the rdiff-backup-data, I see
> this:
> > rm -r rdiff-backup.tmp.0
> rm: cannot remove directory `rdiff-backup.tmp.0': Device or resource busy
> > ls -la rdiff-backup.tmp.0/
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x    1 cengiz   users        4096 2006-01-11 18:46 .
> drwxr-xr-x    1 cengiz   users        4096 2006-01-11 18:45 ..
> ---
>
> As you can see, after I attempted deleting the .0 directory, the
> insides were wiped out. But it still didn't want to remove the
> directory itself.  Is it possible the program is currently sitting
> in that directory and making it busy? Once I Ctrl-C rdiff-backup out
> of the loop, I am able to delete the directory.

rdiff-backup never chdirs, so I don't think that is the problem.

Do if you just try to rmdir a directory that has files in it, do you
get that same "Device or resource busy" error?  There was a similar
bug only fixed recently, where rdiff-backup would open a file, and
then delete it.  On some systems (like Linux) you're allowed to then
remove the directory, but sometimes this causes an error.

If that's what's happening you can try using lsof (or maybe strace) to
see if rdiff-backup is leaving any files open when it tries to remove
the directory.  I looked through the relevant code for about 5 minutes
and it seems to me all the files get closed.

But if removing a non-empty directory gives you the more common
"Directory not empty" (ENOTEMPTY) error, leaving files open may not be
the problem.  Maybe someone else could tell you why trying to remove
an empty SMB directory would raise an EBUSY.

--
Ben Escoto