Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up the backup server [SOLVED]

From: Brian C
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up the backup server [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:11:39 -0800

Thanks Keith!

Keith Edmunds wrote:
[snip]
- if all else fails, set 'LogLevel' to 'DEBUG' in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, restart the sshd daemon and post the results of a failed login from /var/log/auth (or maybe 'syslog', depending on your setup).

This idea showed the problem. Even though when contacting the remote server I needed the "from" portion of /root/.ssh/authorized_keys to be the bizarre result of dig -x my.ip.add.res (which comes back as node-########.sfo.onnet.us.uu.net which I presume is what my DSL provider calls my static IP despite it resolving via DNS to something totally different) when connecting locally the "from" portion needed to be my regular hostname.domainname.tld.

I can now accomplish unattended backups via the backup user for both remote servers and the backup server itself. Thanks to everyone for their help and to the developers for this great software!

Brian