Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of rdiff

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:25:39 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

> How do I get both to be the same versions? I run Debian 3.1 on both machines
> and keep things updated with apt-get update/upgrade.

i'm guessing one of your boxes is stable and the other unstable...
unstable has 1.1.5 in it now... and the stable tree probably froze before
1.0.x release so it has 0.13.x in it.

anyhow you want to set up one or the other box so that it can cherry-pick
from the other release...  i'll just assume here you want to set up the
stable box so it can cherry-pick packages from unstable.

add this to /etc/apt/apt.conf:

APT::Default-Release "stable";

add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib

then "apt-get update" ... now you have access to the unstable versions of
all the packages in addition to the stable versions... but apt won't
choose the unstable package ever unless you ask for it specifically (or
somehow a stable dependency exists for a package which doesn't exist in
stable but does in unstable...)

anyhow do this:  apt-get install rdiff-backup=1.1.5-1

that'll try to install the 1.1.5-1 package... hopefully it won't haul in a
lot of unstable packages to support dependencies... if it does then you
want to give up and rebuild it yourself... or rearrange all the above
instructions so your unstable box can cherry-pick the 0.13.4 release from
stable.

-dean