Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fatal Error: Bad rdiff-backup-data dir on desti

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fatal Error: Bad rdiff-backup-data dir on destination side
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:07:32 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Noah wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:56:20 -0800, Noah wrote
> > I am hoping there is a way around starting the backup process over
> > again.  I had  it running for about 6 hours and then the connection
> > to my home server was lost.  Any clues if there is anything I can do
> > instead of completely blowing away the rdiff-backup-data directory.
> > That essentially means I have to start the process over completely.
> > Also I am wondering if there is something that I can do in the
> > future since I could start the process again and my cable modem
> > server at home becomes isolated.  How can I easily recover from the
> > situation without having to start completely over.
> >

> I found a nice suggestion from the rdiff-backup wiki page for those folks who
> backup across unreliable links.
>
> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/BackupUpOnUnreliableLink

depending on how unreliable your link is you might see an improvement by
changing your ssh options to lengthen the keepalive timeout.  on my client
side i'm currently using this (in .ssh/config):

        tcpkeepalive no
        serveraliveinterval 14400

i think those options may require a newer ssh ... and definitely requires
sshv2 protocol... and you probably need to disable tcp keepalive in the
sshd_config on your server as well (which means you should disable ssh v1
protocol -- which is not secure anyhow).

-dean