[rdiff-backup-users] uppercase-translation

From: Wout Mertens
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] uppercase-translation
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:29:00 +0200

Hi there,

I took a look at rdiff-backup 1.1.5 to see what all the hype was about :)

I tried to sync from my Mac to another Mac, using the default settings. I noticed two annoying issues. One is the uppercase- translation, and the other is resource fork handling. I'll put the resource fork problem in another thread.

The uppercase-translation may be necessary in case you are syncing from a system with a case-sensitive filesystem onto a case- insensitive filesystem, but this is not so in my case. How can this be turned off?

Moreover, two files with the same name but different cases don't exist that much. So why not make the uppercase-translation only kick in when you're adding a new file that would overwrite an existing one in the repository? All case-insensitive filesystems I know are case- preserving.

One of the strengths of rdiff-backup is that it gives you a read-only repository on the remote end. Translating uppercase characters makes that go away :-(

Thanks,

Wout.