Re: [rdiff-backup-users] uppercase-translation

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] uppercase-translation
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:44:35 -0400

On 5-Apr-06, at 8:12 PM, Andrew Ferguson wrote:

Wout Mertens wrote:
The uppercase-translation may be necessary in case you are syncing
from a system with a case-sensitive filesystem onto a case-
insensitive filesystem, but this is not so in my case. How can this
be turned off?

You can turn off the uppercase quoting by adding:

--override-chars-to-quote ''

every time you call rdiff-backup.

But, this is supposed to happen automatically with version 1.1.5, when appropriate. I use version 1.1.5 to make backups on my G4 PowerMac, and I don't need to use this option. It is probably worthwhile trying to determine what is different about Wout Mertens's situation, so the behaviour of rdiff-backup can be improved.

What types of file system do the source and destination have? Are they both HFS+, or is one of them something else? Is one or both of the Macs an Intel Mac?

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada