Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:38:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Devzero,

On Sat, 13 May 2006, address@hidden wrote:

error_log is empty everyday, but i found that on april 29, there is some weird error inside:
[...]
$ zcat error_log.2006-04-29T02\:18\:43+02\:00.data.gz
SpecialFileError var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock AF_UNIX path too long
SpecialFileError var/run/authdaemon.courier-imap/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX
path too long

does anybody have a clue, what this means and why this only happened on april
29 ?

I get this (bizarre and confusing) error every single time I try to back up a Unix socket. I don't even want to back up these sockets, or understand what sense it would make, since they are created by and tied to a running application, and restoring them without the application would not be possible or useful. So I don't understand why rdiff-backup doesn't silently ignore them. I end up having to exclude them from my backups, one by one, to shut up the error.

mysql and courier is running permanently on the remote-machine, so those "socket files" should be the same everyday.

btw: i`m first rsyncing the contents to a local directory and then make an rdiff-backup from that, because i cannot install rdiff-backup on the target machine.

That's strange, I can't see how rsync could create or copy a unix socket (minus its controlling process) either.

Is it possible that on that day (April 29th) an rsync was running while rdiff-backup was running at the same time? Perhaps if the previous rdiff-backup took a long time, and another rsync (for the next day) started while the previous backup was still running?

Cheers, Chris.
--