Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

From: devzero
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:39:38 +0200

Hello Chris,

> I get this (bizarre and confusing) error every single time I try to back
> up a Unix socket. I don't even want to back up these sockets, or
> understand what sense it would make, since they are created by and tied to
> a running application, and restoring them without the application would
> not be possible or useful. So I don't understand why rdiff-backup doesn't
> silently ignore them. I end up having to exclude them from my backups, one
> by one, to shut up the error.

i`m not sure if backup up a socket makes sense at all, but you could be right
with this.

> That's strange, I can't see how rsync could create or copy a unix socket
> (minus its controlling process) either.

it does, since i can see the socket in my rsync target-directory:

srwxrwxrwx   1 mysql daemon       0 Apr 28 01:43 mysql.sock

> Is it possible that on that day (April 29th) an rsync was running while
> rdiff-backup was running at the same time? Perhaps if the previous
> rdiff-backup took a long time, and another rsync (for the next day)
> started while the previous backup was still running?

no, impossible, because rdiff-backup always is started directly _after_ the
rsync.

but after further investigation, i now see a corellation:

i restarted mysql. this re-creates the socket and thus changes the timestamp -
and this is what makes rdiff-backup report the error:

zcat error_log.2006-05-13T18\:28\:37+02\:00.data.gz
SpecialFileError var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

can you reproduce ?

i CC`ed this to ben, because i think this is could be a minor bug of
rdiff-backup. reporting an error where really isn`t one is not good at all.

regards
roland