Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:12:46 -0400

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Looking at the permissions for /var/vm/swapfile0 on my system, they are
> 1600 (that is, the sticky bit is set). I'll have to see if that kind of
> setup causes a problem for rdiff-backup. I don't have a
> /var/vm/sleepimage (are you using an Intel Mac?)
>

>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line
>> 759, in chmod
>>     self.conn.os.chmod(self.path, permissions & Globals.permission_mask)
>> OSError: [Errno 79] Inappropriate file type or format: './Previous
>> Systems.localized/Previous System 1/private/var/vm/rdiff-backup.tmp.1'

Hang on, you were doing a restore to a non-Mac OS X system, yes?

According to:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Error-Codes.html

"Inappropriate file type or format" is returned on some systems if you
try to set the sticky bit on non-directory files. Since this is
definitely a non-directory file, that's almost certainly what's happening.

I'm going to guess you were backing up to a Linux system. Some more
googling suggests that the *BSD's will allow it (eg, Mac OS X).

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden