Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:11:49 -0400

Decibel! wrote:
> Actually, this is backing up an Intel Mac to a FreeBSD box. I'm not
> trying to restore right now, just back out the failed backup. Simply
> removing the file from the backup resulted in another error (which I
> didn't think to capture), so I've just deleted it from the metadata
> (along with another file that was also mode 896)... that did the trick
> (though I'd be a bit surprised if it didn't...)
>
> Though, the error occurred before it reported "Regressing attributes",
> which makes me think this is a different issue (or the logging isn't
> quite accurate).

Jim, thanks for finding this problem. I've added code to CVS (1.1.13) to
log and handle this situation in the future.

The reason the error occurred before it reported "Regressing attributes"
is because error messages and log messages take different paths (and
different buffers) to the output device. The stack trace and mode 896
(1600 in octal) proves that the issue was due to setting the sticky bit
on a non-directory.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden