Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?

From: Martin Fisher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:38:42 -0300

G'day again Eric

Thank you, and I believe I have a greater understanding now. Therefore
when my laptop is repaired, I can, as I understand it, attach the usb
drive that has my backup and use, for example,

rdiff-backup -r
now /media/ext32backup/home/martin/Documents /home/martin/Documents

where the first path is the backup and the latter is the destination.

Correct?

As I have four folders in /home/martin that are being backed up and must
be restored (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music) perhaps I could simply
do

rdiff-backup -r now /media/ext32backup/home/martin /home/martin

Yes?

Finally a subsidiary question. The repaired laptop will already have
some of the files that I am going to restore, but not all. I could clean
out my home folder before doing restore, or I could do the restore on
top of what is already there. Would it make a difference?

This query comes of course with my usual disclaimer regarding my
ignorance in these matters...

Thanks, as always, for your time and patience! Martin

--
Dr Martin Fisher
Editor, Oryx - The International Journal of Conservation

e-mail address@hidden
tel +44 (0)20 81238513
skype martin_pescador

Oryx online http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=ORX