Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?

From: Eric Jensen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:45:36 -0500

Martin,

I think we're converging on the solution here, and I'm firming up my understanding of the subtleties of rdiff-backup in the process.

This gets more interesting, at least for me. I ran

rdiff-backup -r 1D
'/media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup-data/increments/ Documents/Oryx/42(1)/Harris 2007_48 [frmtd]/' '/home/martin/ Documents/Oryx/42(1)/Harris 2007_48 [frmtd]/'

Try this, but omit from the first path the part 'rdiff-backup-data/ increments/' . In other words, try this:

rdiff-backup -r 1D '/media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup/Documents/Oryx/42 (1)/Harris 2007_48 [frmtd]/' '/home/martin/Documents/Oryx/42(1)/ Harris 2007_48 [frmtd]/'

In other words, specify the source path name for the folder *as if it were still present in the main level of the backup* (even though it's not). rdiff-backup should then know what folder you're referring to, and retrieve it from the appropriate increments subdirectory without you having to find it.

(My above line may not be quite correct depending on what your source directory for the backup is, i.e. I don't know if 'Documents' is at the top level of your backup dir, or if it's maybe 'home' [with martin/Documents as a subdir], but hopefully you get the idea - you're telling rdiff-backup where the file used to live in the backup hierarchy.)

Good luck,

Eric