[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup versus rsnapshot

From: Richard Chapman
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup versus rsnapshot
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:02:11 +0800

Hi

I am planning a "holistic" backup system for a mixed windows/linux network. The system should provide for both disaster recovery and accidental deletion protection.

It appears to me that both rdiff-backup and rsnapshot would do a good job for me. Could anyone provide their thoughts on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two tools.

I have posted a similar request on the rsnapshot list - and have had some response suggesting that rdiff-backup will need less storage - but may be slower with a lot of changing data. Also - that recovering specific files at specific ages may be easier with rsnapshot.

Looking at the rdiff-backup documentation - it appears to me that rdiff-backup stores the change data indefinitely. If this is so - and there is no way to "delete" old data - I assume the historical change data will grow indefinitely. Is this the case - or have I missed something?

I would value the opinions of users of this group also.

Regards

Richard.