Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup versus rsnapshot

From: Richard Chapman
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup versus rsnapshot
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:20:27 +0800

Thanks Chris, Clement and Mike

I am posting this to both rdiff-backup group and the rsnapshot group so experts from each group can comment.

That seems to be a really good summary of the differences. I am now left with a tough choice - which really results from fundamental problems with heterogeneous networks - rather than any limitation of either tool.

It seems to me that rsnapshot has an "almost fatal" flaw if there is a need to store linux files on a windows file-system. If I understand correctly - it doesn't keep any separate metadata - so things like file ownership cannot be retained if (say) a backup repository for a linux system is kept on a windows system. There are probably also problems in the other direction.

Here is a wacky thought to work around this problem...
Might it be possible to use a "loop device" or something like that to create an ext3 file-system within a cifs file on a windows server? rsnapshot could then keep its backup repository in that ext3 file-system. Would this solve the metadata problem when keeping a linux snapshot repository on a windows machine? Are there any obvious pitfalls in this approach? I guess windows couldn't see the backup files directly, but Linux could expose them as samba files if required. I doubt there is a similar solution for storing windows files on a linux file-system?

rdiff-backup has a couple of "undesirable" features for my application. If I understand correctly - you cannot have backups kept at reducing frequency as they age. If you need (say) daily backups for short term reasons - you have to keep daily backups for as long as you want to keep backups. I guess the only way around this is to keep several different rdiff-backup repositories - with different frequencies and different final ages. This would greatly increase the storage requirement.

I am using maildir rather than mbox format for mail - so I guess there will be little advantage to either approach for mail system backup.

At restore time - especially after a major failure - rsnapshot has the advantage of a simple repository which can be restored with off-line tools etc. My wacky idea (above) probably reduces this simplicity.

Decisions... decisions...

Richard.

Chris Wilson wrote:
Hi all,