Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how to exclude mount point on destination,

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] how to exclude mount point on destination,
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:31:12 -0400

On Jul 4, 2008, at 2:52 AM, lo73fr wrote:

Hi,

I try to do a rdiff-backup between to linux computer other SSH.
The directory tree is following:

source                                             dest
/opt                                                    /opt
|___ dir1 |---- Apache (empty mount point)
 |         |--- Some files                           |

 |___ Apache (mount point)
           |--- Some files

My troubles is coming from the fact that "Apache" directory is a mount point (both on source and destination tree) for another filesystem.

When I use the following rdiff-backup:

rdiff-backup -v 5 --print-statistics --exclude-if-present apache -- exclude-symbolic-links --force --exclude-other-filesystems -- exclude /opt/apache /opt address@hidden::/opt

rdiff-backup complains about "device or resource busy" on the destination directory "/opt/apache". Sending back exception [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/opt/ apache' of type <type 'exceptions.OSError'>:

This is true, because destination "/opt/apache" is mount, so can't delete it !

I try many combination of exclude options on rdiff-backup, but can't manage to remove this error.

Any help would be apreciate.

    Laurent

Hi Laurent,

Does this do what you want?

rdiff-backup -v 5 --print-statistics --exclude-symbolic-links -- exclude-other-filesystems /opt address@hidden::/opt

When you specify the "--exclude-if-present bad_file" option, it means that it should exclude any directories which contain a file named "bad_file". For example, this is commonly used as "--exclude-if- present .no_backup", which allows users to put a ".no_backup" file in any directories which they want excluded from the backup process. Based on what you are trying to accomplish, I don't think you want this.

When you specify the "--exclude /opt/apache" option, rdiff-backup will completely remove the "/opt/apache" directory from its view of the source. Thus, when it tries to mirror the source to the destination, it sees the "/opt/apache" directory on the destination, believes that it is not in the source, and thus tries to remove it. This causes the error that you report.

The "--exclude-other-filesystems" option should be enough to make rdiff-backup skip any files inside the mount point since it would detect that the files *under* /opt/apache/ are on a separate filesystem. Since the directory/mount-point /opt/apache is on the /opt filesystem, it is ok with it, and thus would not try to remove it from the destination.

Also, you almost certainly do NOT want to use the "--force" option. Rdiff-backup will tell you if it needs that option. If you use it without thinking about it, rdiff-backup will perform destructive operations without asking you.

Andrew