Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Installed rdiff-backup on Windows using MinGW

From: Curtis Osterhoudt
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Installed rdiff-backup on Windows using MinGW
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:35:37 -0600

On Saturday 05 July 2008 22:10:49 Dave Kempe wrote:
> Mico Siahaan wrote:
> >> Hi Andrew,
> >>
> >> thanks, the current CVS version seems work well. I succeeded made
> >> Windows distribution for CVS version of rdiff-backup. It made for
> >> python 2.5. I also added some simple batch scripts into it. Anyone
>
> Hi,
> this seems to work pretty well in the basic tests I have done so far.
> You can download it from here:
> http://solutionsfirst.com.au/~dave/backup/rdiff-backup-1.1.17-cvs.win32-py2
>.5.exe
>
> You may need to modify the rdiff-backup.bat in the scripts directory to
> get the paths right (its set to d: in the installer).
> You need python2.5 installed for windows, which you can get from here:
> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.2/python-2.5.2.msi
>
> thanks Mico, its seems to work well.
>
> Dave

> Wiki URL:
> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

Howdy, all,

   I've used rdiff-backup for a couple of years on linux, and absolutely love
it. I'd also like to use it on Windows eventually, either via Cygwin or the
recent executables I've seen mentioned in the list.

   However, I can't figure out how to get it to run properly. For example,
I've downloaded and installed the executable mentioned above (and have
Python2.5 installed), but somehow can't figure out how to run it once it's
installed. "python rdiff-backup.py" (or the analogous command; I'm not at my
Windows machine now) -- or, from within a python shell, "run
rdiff-backup.py" -- seems to do *something* very quickly, without throwing
errors, but I can't tell what's happening. Can anyone point me to some quick
instructions on how to get it to run once it's installed? I'm comfortable
with editing configuration files if that's what it's going to take.

            Very best wishes,
                       Curtis O.

Curtis Osterhoudt
address@hidden