Re: [rdiff-backup-users] getting attemp to rename over same inode

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] getting attemp to rename over same inode
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:08:30 -0400

On Jul 29, 2008, at 4:05 AM, John covici wrote:
Using v1.2.0 I get this warning along with the following output:

Warning: Attempt to rename over same inode: /mnt/rdiff_backup/ ccs_backups/home/news/spool/articles/uk/politics/misc/rdiff- backup.tmp.5203 to /mnt/rdiff_backup/ccs_backups/home/news/spool/ articles/uk/politics/misc/997262 Exception '('home', 'news', 'spool', 'articles', 'uk', 'politics', 'misc', '997262')' raised of class '<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>':

Hi John,

I have made a fix in CVS so that rdiff-backup won't crash in this case. If you wish to test the fix yourself, simply replace the rorpiter.py file (in Python's site-packages/rdiff-backup/ directory) with the one I have attached to this email. The issue that crashed rdiff-backup for you is harmless; with the patch I put in CVS, we might be able to get a better look at what's going wrong.

However, this problem already indicates that something is probably wrong with your underlying filesystem, which is reinforced by the error message "Attempt to rename over same inode" -- What type of filesystem is /mnt/rdiff_backup? What mount options are you using? Does running fsck on it return any errors?

Andrew