Re: [rdiff-backup-users] getting attemp to rename over same inode

From: John covici
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] getting attemp to rename over same inode
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:44:37 -0400

Its an ext3 file system  and e2fsck gives no errors.  With this crash
rdiff-backup is useless because it regresses the file system to its
last good state and then tries to back up and stops at that same
point.

on Tuesday 07/29/2008 Andrew Ferguson(address@hidden) wrote
 > On Jul 29, 2008, at 4:05 AM, John covici wrote:
 > > Using v1.2.0 I get this warning along with the following output:
 >
 > > Warning: Attempt to rename over same inode: /mnt/rdiff_backup/
 > > ccs_backups/home/news/spool/articles/uk/politics/misc/rdiff-
 > > backup.tmp.5203 to /mnt/rdiff_backup/ccs_backups/home/news/spool/
 > > articles/uk/politics/misc/997262
 > > Exception '('home', 'news', 'spool', 'articles', 'uk', 'politics',
 > > 'misc', '997262')' raised of class '<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>':
 >

 > Hi John,
 >
 > I have made a fix in CVS so that rdiff-backup won't crash in this
 > case. If you wish to test the fix yourself, simply replace the
 > rorpiter.py file (in Python's site-packages/rdiff-backup/  directory)
 > with the one I have attached to this email. The issue that crashed
 > rdiff-backup for you is harmless; with the patch I put in CVS, we
 > might be able to get a better look at what's going wrong.
 >
 > However, this problem already indicates that something is probably
 > wrong with your underlying filesystem, which is reinforced by the
 > error message "Attempt to rename over same inode" -- What type of
 > filesystem is /mnt/rdiff_backup? What mount options are you using?
 > Does running fsck on it return any errors?
 >

 > Andrew

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici