[rdiff-backup-users] Unchanged Files Being Incremented

From: Austin Roberts
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Unchanged Files Being Incremented
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 09:23:29 -0600

Hi,

I'm doing a backup (from Windows to Linux, though I'm not sure that's relevant), and I've noticed that a lot of files (especially pictures) that haven't changed at all are being incremented. It will say "Processing changed file ..." "Incrementing mirror file ..." Even though the file hasn't changed at all. The resulting diffs are generally between 9 and 141 bytes.

I found a discussion of this from 2004, and the consensus seemed to be that these were unique rsync deltas, even though the file hadn't changed. Someone fixed it by doing md5sums of the files on each side to make sure they were different before storing anything.

Has this ever been addressed? There may be performance penalties that outweigh the storage penalties, but I thought I'd make sure this was brought to the attention of the current maintainers.

Thanks,

-Austin