Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Unchanged Files Being Incremented

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Unchanged Files Being Incremented
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:30:45 -0500

On Feb 1, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Austin Roberts wrote:
I'm doing a backup (from Windows to Linux, though I'm not sure that's relevant), and I've noticed that a lot of files (especially pictures) that haven't changed at all are being incremented. It will say "Processing changed file ..." "Incrementing mirror file ..." Even though the file hasn't changed at all. The resulting diffs are generally between 9 and 141 bytes.

Backing up from Windows to Linux is relevant because rdiff-backup inspects the metadata on the file to determine whether it has changed and should be backed up. Getting the algorithm right becomes more complicated with platforms as different as Windows and Linux.

In order to help you, you're going to have to describe your situation some more. What version of rdiff-backup are you running on each end? Is it the native Windows client or the Cygwin client? How are you doing the backup? If you gunzip one of the diff.gz files, what does it say? (it will be in binary, use hexdump) ... What does md5 report for the "different" files? How large are the files which are being marked as "changed"?

I found a discussion of this from 2004, and the consensus seemed to be that these were unique rsync deltas, even though the file hadn't changed. Someone fixed it by doing md5sums of the files on each side to make sure they were different before storing anything.

Can you send a link to that discussion? Given it's age, it's probably not relevant to your particular situation. The rdiff-backup code has changed a lot in the last five years.

thanks,
Andrew