Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Clarification of --restrict-update-only

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Clarification of --restrict-update-only
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:28:09 +0000

Chris G wrote:
Anyway, back to the original point of my question, if I put:-

    Match User=bak
    ForceCommand rdiff-backup --server --restrict-update-only /

at the end of my sshd configuration on the backup server will it prevent
rdiff-backup doing anything but updates on any/every part of the
backup hierarchy?
From my reading of man page I think you are correct, but I suggest you accept the position of 'restrict-update-only Tester In Chief' and let us know how you get on! I would be interested to know if it causes any problems when comparing or recovering files (but I don't think it should). Can you use it when creating a new repository?

I take it you are not concerned about what a local root user might do on the backup machine? How secure is your garage?!

Dominic