Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Clarification of --restrict-update-only

From: Dominic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Clarification of --restrict-update-only
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:53:06 +0000

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
Automatically repairing a failed backup will fail if you have --restrict-update-only ... perhaps over the course of multiple backup sessions, a malicious user could construct a source to fail in a bad way when the repository tries to repair itself.
Or is that taking paranoia to a new level? :-)
An administrator paranoid and involved enough to be using --restrict-update-only is assumed to be vigilant enough to pay attention when rdiff-backup has failed (since it will error and backtrace) and manually intervene to repair the repository.
Even so, IMO it would be better if --restrict-update-only didn't break rdiff-backup's normal behaviour (especially the automatic fixing) - but perhaps it is too difficult to change...
Regarding first creating new repositories, yes, I think that too will be blocked. There was some discussion a few years ago about this: http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?16897 ... I don't remember what was resolved. I suppose we could add os.mkdir() to the safe list.
It seems logical to me. I can see the sense in Chris's idea to restrict sshd with ForceCommand but its applicability is quite limited if you have to mess with it whenever you want to create a repository (or recreate one in a new directory). I struggle to see the security danger in allowing rdiff-backup to create a new repository?

In the thread (link we both gave) Dean was concerned about use of shared private keys, but I don't think that is the issue; a single user from a single machine may still want to create new repositories. Automated setups built around rdiff-backup might want to use a really secure system but couldn't cope with manual tweaking of sshd_config.

My 2p...

Dominic