[rdiff-backup-users] Re: include other filesystems?

From: freeslkr
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: include other filesystems?
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 18:16:30 +0000 (UTC)

Yuval Hager <yuval <at> avramzon.net> writes:

> My directory structure is as follows:
> / is one file system
> /data is another
>
> /home is linked to /data/home
> /usr/local/data is linked to /data/usr/local/data
>
> I am backing up '/', using --include-globbing-filelist that looks as follows:
>
> + /home/user1
> + /home/user2
> + /usr/local/data
> + /etc
> - **

Rule (3) should just back up the symlink /usr/local/data.
Rule (4) should back up the /etc directory.
Rules (1) and (2) traverse sylinks, and what rdiff-backup *should*
do is unclear to me in this situation. It seems plausible that the
final exclusion rule should prevent the real data from being
backed up. In any case, I get the same behavior you do.

I've mimicked your setup with a fuse filesystem, and it seems to
me that the following globbing-filelist will work as I think you
intend:

+ /home                 # backup up the symlink
+ /data/home/user1      # backup up the user1 directory
+ /data/home/user2      # backup up the user2 directory
+ /usr/local/data       # backup up the symlink
+ /data/usr/local/data  # backup the data directory
+ /etc                  # backup the etc directory
- **

If you've got an old backup repo with, for example, user data
in /home as opposed to /data/home, you'll want to rearrange
the repo before re-running rdiff-backup.

If you still can't figure it out, maybe you ought to post the
actual command line that's being executed, the contents of your
symlinks, and what you think should be backed up where (i.e.
state more explicitly what's "not working").