Re: [rdiff-backup-users] New user, some simple questions

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] New user, some simple questions
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 07:44:51 -0500

Jakob Unterwurzacher wrote:
>>> However testing --exclude by dropping test.txt in ~/Downloads shows that
>>> the directory is still being copied over.  Is this because the first
>>> time I ran rdiff to the target I did not include --exclude in my script?
>> Your invocation looks wrong, you're missing a source directory (/home/daryl
>> in
>> this case). Is that a typo in your email or is it like that in your script?
>
> Hmm. Syntax looks good IMO (notice the line break in the email!), i
> don't know what's going on.

I agree.  It looks correct and did what I expected in a couple quick tests.

>>> Another test I tried was putting text1.txt in ~/ and running the script.
>>>   After verifying that it made it to the target
>>> /media/Lacie/daryl_backup I then removed it from ~/ and ran the script
>>> again.  Looking again at the target I found that it had been removed. It
>>> was my understanding that it should have stayed there until I removed it
>>> with --remove-older-than .  What happens here?
>> A (compressed) copy of that file has been stored in the rdiff-backup-
>> data/increments folder in your target. The target itself is the image how
>> your
>> home directory looked like at the time of synchronisation.

Right, this is the point of rdiff-backup.  It is always a complete
mirror of the source at the last run, but allows you to go back to any
previous run (the required data for this is stored as compressed rdiffs).

Matt Flaschen