Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: New user, some simple questions

From: Daryl Styrk
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: New user, some simple questions
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:52:43 -0500

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
Daryl Styrk wrote:
I currently have a simple script to run

rdiff-backup --exclude /home/daryl/Downloads/ /home/daryl/
/media/Lacie/daryl_backup

However testing --exclude by dropping test.txt in ~/Downloads shows
that the directory is still being copied over.  Is this because the
first time I ran rdiff to the target I did not include --exclude in my
script?
I solved this by removing /Downloads manually from the destination.  Now
that is does not exist on the target, the script properly --excludes
/Downloads at the source.

That behavior isn't correct.  If it already exists at the destination,
and is excluded thenceforth, it should be deleted at the destination and
included in a single rdiff (just as if it was deleted at the source).

Very strange indeed.  Another experiment worked as expected.

$ mkdir TEST
$ cd TEST
TEST$ touch 1 2 3 4 5
TEST$ mkdir foo
TEST$ mkdir ~/DEST
TEST$ rdiff-backup ~/TEST ~/DEST
TEST$ ls ~/DEST
1  2  3  4  5  foo  rdiff-backup-data
TEST$ cd foo/
TEST/foo$ touch 6 7 8 9 10
TEST/foo$ rdiff-backup --exclude ~/TEST/foo ~/TEST ~/DEST
TEST/foo$ ls ~/DEST/
1  2  3  4  5  rdiff-backup-data

Where as before 6 7 8 9 10 would have made it over and foo would have still existed.

> Is it possible rdiff-backup does not have deletion permission for the
> destination?
>
> Matt Flaschen

Delete permission? I only know of w r x. Wouldn't write be the same as delete? And if thats the case, rdiff indeed has write permission, or none of it would have made it over in the first place.

Daryl