Re: [rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?

From: Marcel (Felix) Giannelia
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:13:22 -0700

OK, I've written a quick & dirty utility to do this to increments after the fact. I've posted it in the wiki at the bottom of ContribScripts, but as I noted there it's probably very dicey to use and it needs real testing. Anyone care to give it a go? ;)

It's my hope that this can one day be an alternative to "--remove-older-than" --- perhaps "--move-older-than".

An interesting thing about the output tarballs from my script: if I rdiff two of them, one of them plus the patch file is significantly smaller than two of them (presumably because diffs on different days are nonetheless similar).* This is probably very dependent on what kind of data is being backed up, but it may lead to a way to make increment storage even more efficient (but also more fragile, since a restore would take two levels of merging). It's also very possible that this is a clear indication that I've done something very wrong in my script that's causing duplicate data in what are supposed to be separate increments. Further testing is required ;)

*Example from my test set: a collected increment from 2008-10-04 is 49MB, and the one from 2008-10-05 is also 49MB (total 98MB). An rdiff delta file to turn 2008-10-04 into 2008-10-05 is only 18MB, so 2008-10-04 plus the delta file is 67MB. Another delta to turn 2008-10-05 into 2008-10-06 is also only 18MB, so the three of them together are 85MB instead of 147MB. Again, this is probably highly dependent on the kind of data that's in these increments, but I'm surprised it works as well as it does given that I'm tarring some already-gzipped files together.

~Felix.