Re: [rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?

From: Marcel (Felix) Giannelia
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:25:49 -0700

(Sorry about the blank message; I just learned that ctrl+enter = send in Mozilla Thunderbird :) )

Anyway -- re: failure handling, I don't know exactly how I'd deal with it, but I might do something like write the archive header to a separate file initially, and stick it onto the archive only when the run is complete. In its intermediate form, the archive header could even mimic a filesystem journal, since that process is fairly well known now. True, this is an overly complicated solution...

The obvious simple solution would be to use more temp space, but that would probably mean a lot more temp space. One might as well do the archiving after the fact, then. (Which is probably want I'm going to be doing to these backups that I have to move to DVD.)

--remove-older-than would actually be a great deal faster, since if it's deleting, say, 100 increments, it has to delete exactly 100 files as opposed to (possibly) many thousands.

~Felix.