Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Reliability/windows

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Reliability/windows
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:16:09 -0500

Dnk wrote:
Hi there,

I have just started researching rdiff-backup, and wanted to ask a few beginner questions. When new to a software it is just nice to hear about a few experiences prior to implimenting.

I will be using it with Linux servers, mostly windows clients, and a few mac clients. My backup server is located remotely, and do not want to use VPN for secure access (as I will be scripting the backups). So encryption is important. Ssh from the preliminary reading I have done seems to be an option.

1) is rdiff-backup reliable?
2) and with windows clients too?
3) where can I download the native win binary I have read about. The link seems to have escaped me.

Thanks in advance.

This has been my experience: rdiff-backup is very reliable, especially on linux. The last several releases have been mostly fixes for handling of various errors (failing hardware, bogus permissions, etc). Windows support is more recent, and therefore has more issues; the two that I know of are that it doesn't support unicode filenames or long filenames (i.e. longer than 260 characters; I've never run into those myself).

The native linux binary can be downloaded from the rdiff-backup homepage (search for "win32.zip <http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup-1.2.7-win32.zip>"). Note that for Windows you'll need a ssh transport (putty is the most popular) - see http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/BackupFromWindowsToLinux.

Thanks,
JoshN