Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Old versions of files with lots of RDiff-slices

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Old versions of files with lots of RDiff-slices
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 01:30:28 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, David Kempe wrote:

----- "listserv traffic" <address@hidden> wrote:

To get to the year old version, you take the current file, and apply
200 reverse diffs to get the old one?
(And if any of the 200 rdiffs fail, you're stuck...)

Do I have it right?

no, rdiff-backup keeps a complete snapshot of the file every 10 versions.

I had a question about this before, but didn't see any answer. In the mean time, I've been looking at the code to see how this is organised. In short, I only found the 10th increment being a snapshot code in the metadata related python file. So, either rdiff-backup uses this technique only for metadata, or I'm looking at the wrong places...

Regards,
Maarten