[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup completes without errors, but then hav

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup completes without errors, but then have a corrupt archive...
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:36:29 -0700

>> Are the exit codes the same, and available to cygwin event though
>> it's a windows binary? (I do see the output is the same unix style
>> output (with a unix vs dos line return).

> The exit codes should be the same, but, truthfully, the state of rdiff-
> backup's exit codes are not very good. I don't think they're
> documented anywhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There's even a
> bug open in Ubuntu #128244 which basically amounts to "rdiff-backup
> has unhelpful error codes".

> That said, I would be more than happy to implement useful error codes.
> I just don't know what would be useful to system administrators. :-)

> In that bug,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rdiff-backup/+bug/128244
>   , I proposed:
> 0 = no error occurred
> 1 = unrecoverrable error
> 2 = another rdiff-backup instance running
> 3 = recoverrable error (link down, interrupted, etc.)

> but no one responded whether those would be good or not, so nothing
> became of it...

These seem like great exit codes.
I'm not sure if no 3 covers file errors like files being busy etc...
I'd guess that even if it did, I'd like a code that is "basically
everything went smoothly, but some files were locked, or otherwise
unavailable."

This will tell us we got a "good" backup, but that it has some
missing files.

Thanks!
-Greg