Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Remote encrypted backup with slow connectio

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Remote encrypted backup with slow connection.
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:21:14 +0100

Piotr Karbowski wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Matthew Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:58:11PM +0200, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
local rdiff-backup dir with remote server but how? If I will use for
example rsync it still need to check whole files for changes (read,
download it) and upload only new. I hope you will understand what I
need and help me.
rsync won't check whole files unless you give the -c flag. Otherwise, it
just compares metadata. I don't know if that's also the case with
rdiff-backup, but I assume so.

So I need to know how rdiff default compares data, if by size and
mod-time, it will not be so painful but still it will download changed
files to generate diff.
Rdiff-backup is designed to be ultra-efficient at this activity. It only sends the changes in a file over the wire, not the whole file. To do this it uses the librsync library which is effectively the same as rsync. You can read more about the technique at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync. rdiff-backup does not use file times to determine whether to do backups. It can backup very large files with small changes very quickly.

Dominic