Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Unclear part in the --remove-older-then section

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Unclear part in the --remove-older-then section of man rdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:56:42 -0400

Chris Wilson wrote:
>> Does this mean that when I delete a file by accident but I've run a
>> rdiff-backup --remove-older-than in the mean time I can't get it back
>> from my backup? Not even from a snapshot that was created before I
>> deleted that file (but to new to be deleted by --remove-older-then)?

The snapshot is not too new to be deleted.  It is at least two weeks
old, which is more than 10 days.

> I think this sentence counts as explanatory rather than as a definition
> of behaviour, so arguably it is superfluous. It seems clear enough to
> me, but if it's confusing to anyone then I think it ought to be
> rewritten to improve it. Perhaps this version would be easier to
> understand:
>
> "The --remove-older-than option will delete all snapshots older than the
> specified date, including all changes and deleted files contained in
> them. If a file was deleted or corrupted before one of those snapshots
> was made, it will no longer be recoverable."

I think all the sentences in the manual, and your proposed addition, are
accurate.  But it's useful to have an example, /as well/ as the more
formal definition.  I am not sure exactly how your proposed text fits
into the 4-paragraph explanation in the man page.

Really, though, I think the text is clear enough as is.

Matthew Flaschen